There aren’t many moments in the long and storied history of our great, albeit sometimes insane business that can be pointed to as landscape changing or generation defining. Hogan and Andre, and Bret and Austin are two that come to mind off the top of my head. Tonight in Chicago, Punk and Cena have an opportunity to add their names to that short list…and I’m proud to say that at least for tonight, I’m still a fan.
I’ve always been a fan, of course, that’s why we all (the “wrestlers” left here, anyway) get into this. But over the past 5 years I’ve slowly felt my fandom fade away as this business has turned into a monopoly and the integrity of all that we loved growing up has somehow taken a back seat to the almighty dollar sign. And I’m no different in the regard that part of my dream has always been accented by making a nice living for me and mine. I’m proud to say though, no matter what people might think, I’ve never let money consume or overwhelm my loyalty to the artistic merit of this beautiful American artform. And I’m not alone. Dreamers and artists and heroes do exist, but as frustrated as we’ve become, as jaded as things have gotten, as hard as we all fight, none of us have had the power to change things—to shatter the archetype….until now.
And in my opinion there is no one better to lead this charge than CM Punk.
Here’s a guy who is the epitome of everything you want to believe growing up: that hard work, dedication, and love will overcome and the cream will always rise. Punk once told me that himself, actually. Even in the midst of his quest for more “brass rings,” he still truly believed that talent and work ethic shine through. Even in moments of hopelessness, where giving up or giving in might have seemed like a logical and sound decision, Punk has persevered.
And now here he is on the brink of our business’s version of immortality. And it’s got nothing to do with collector cups or Wrestlemania banners. It has nothing to do with ice cream bars or even with private jets and dollar bills. It has only to do with his love for professional wrestling, and where he believes the future lies.
So even if he’s gone after Sunday and this whole masterpiece falls apart in the wrong hands, what CM Punk is doing and has done is inspirational beyond measure and it will not be done in vain. There is a spirit to this whole thing and it’s up to us to do what we have to do to not just survive, but thrive, through every adversity, every doubt, every whisper, every fist that tries to keep us down.
Last Monday, Punk said he was a voice for the voiceless. Let’s change that. Let’s have our voices be heard loud and clear: WE WANT CHANGE! And the time to move is now!
- adbigger likes this
- 1989nightdreamer likes this
- heckyeaheggboy reblogged this from wwerollins
- danw1648 reblogged this from wwerollins
- danw1648 likes this
- themside reblogged this from wwerollins
- minakoheartswrestling reblogged this from wwerollins
- kissesvonbutternubs reblogged this from wwerollins
- adburrows reblogged this from wwerollins
- abettereffect likes this
- edwardchik likes this
- likeabrokenrecordyd likes this
- smoot-it-and-boot-it reblogged this from wwerollins and added:
- mericuhlife reblogged this from wwerollins
- mericuhlife likes this
- doctor-elto reblogged this from jkwrestling
- jkwrestling reblogged this from wwerollins
- jkwrestling likes this
- ringofviolence reblogged this from wwerollins and added:
- ringofviolence likes this
- mrhackenbacker likes this
- nicaanne reblogged this from wwerollins
- matthewjwalsh likes this
- binu likes this
- kazuchikaokada reblogged this from wwerollins and added:
- kazuchikaokada likes this
- buriedinyourfrontyard likes this
- gimmickinfringement reblogged this from wwerollins
- stylesclash likes this
- burdisso reblogged this from wwerollins
- iamkneegrow reblogged this from wwerollins and added:
- iamkneegrow said: No one could have written that any better. Thank you for in some ways reminding why I love wrestling & why even at 25 I can still believe in a wrestler as an adult as much as I did when I was a kid CM Punk is the change WWE/WRESTLING in general needs
- iamkneegrow likes this
- bonethrower likes this
- remerreimer likes this
- generalcrush likes this
- lauren-brooks reblogged this from wwerollins
- babyiowa reblogged this from wwerollins
- mikeyllorin likes this
- pizzabodyslam reblogged this from wwerollins
- mcorbett26 reblogged this from wwerollins
- wwerollins posted this